HUMAYUN KABIR INSTITUTE
A BRIEF HISTORY OF ITS GLORIOUS PAST
Humayun Kabir Institute (formerly known as Dilkusha Institute) is one of the minority Institutions of Kolkata and has successfully completed 86 years of its existence. About 100 years back, Park Circus locality was covered with huts and jungles, people hardly visited this locality, if they had to come, they used to move out of the place before dusk for security reasons.
In this h1storical per1od, few young people couldd think of having an Institutron, which would cater the need as a Library well as a place to teach the boys at Primary Level. 1920 Was the year, when Late Sk. Abid Hossain along with Late Serajudd1n Ahmed, Late Aftabuddin Ahmed and a few other young men of Park Circus area formed the Dilkusha Institute (now named as Humayun Kabir Institute) in a small room at Jhowtala Road with a fund of Re. 1 and 4 anas. The objectives were to impart education and encourage cultural activities among the local youths.
Lt. Sk. Abid Hossain, the founder, opened the Institute in the evening for a couple of hours and the young boys used to squat on the mat to read donated books. Some children used to assemble in the evening to take lessons as well. This way the Dilkusha crawled during its initial years and the number of young enthusiast gradually multiplied. In the year 1932 Dilkusha Institute (non known as Humayun Kabir Instutute) was shifted to its new premises at 66, Dilkusha Street, Kolkata – 700 017 (now 16, Dr. Biresh Guha Shreet, Kolkata – 700 017).
Funds were raised and a modest one-storied building was erected on the plot of land. The inauguration was performed by the then Sheriff of Caalfcutta Khan Bahadur Fazle Ilahi. The Institute shifted to it’s new address and expanded its activities in many spheres like Library, Sports, and Free Reading Room etc. Thus members swelled in numbers and Dilkusha Institute hummed with Life.
In the year 1973 under the Presidentship of Justice S. A. Masud, Dilkusha Institute was renamed as Humayun Kabir Institute to perpetuate the memory of the great Indian Scholar Prof. Humayun Kabir. In the year 1975, Justice K.M. Yusuf was elected as the President of the Institute and he remained president till his last breath, the longest serving President of this Institute. Under his guidance and leadership the Institute organized various symposia and seminars on burning topics, which later were debated at various quarters. He was a man of Literature and always encouraged us to do Literary works.